The foundation for PIMRC was a 1989 workshop on Mobile Communications organized by Prof Aghvami of King’s College London with the cooperation of the local IEEE Communication Society Chapter. With fewer than 100 participants and about thirty technical papers, the workshop was a successful experience for this new industry that was about to explode. In 1990, King’s College organized a similar successful conference under the name ISSSTA.
The first PIMRC, as an international symposium, also took place in King’s College, with joint sponsorship of the local IEEE Communication Society Chapter and close cooperation with BT laboratories. Dr Rowbotham, director of BT Labs, was the honorary chairman, Prof Aghvami was the organizer and the TPC chair while Dr Kato and Prof Pahlavan were the area coordinators in Far East and North America, respectively. The conference attracted around 200 participants and several prominent figures in the industry.
In 1992, PIMRC was scheduled for Boston. The conference attracted more than 500 people from more than 25 different countries and almost all the major figures in the cellular, PCS, wireless LAN, and mobile data industries. To reflect the true international spirit of the conference, IEEE Communication Society, IEE and IEICE were invited to cooperate with the conference.
The following edition of PIMRC was held in Yokohama in 1993 with over 500 participants from more than 25 countries.
In the 1994 edition of PIMRC, held in the Hague, Holland, the organization of the conference was for the first time endorsed by the area coordinators to the local team; held in parallel with WCN conference, it attracted 500 participants.
Toronto followed in 1995 with 600 participants from more than thirty countries and about 270 technical papers; the IEEE Communication Society sponsored the conference for the first time. In the following years, the conference continued to grow, and circulate around the globe, successfully attracting more papers and participants.
- PIMRC 1991 in London, UK
- PIMRC 1992 in Boston, MA, USA
- PIMRC 1993 in Yokohama, Japan
- PIMRC 1994 in The Hague, Netherlands
- PIMRC 1995 in Toronto, ON, Canada
- PIMRC 1996 in Taipei, Taiwan
- PIMRC 1997 in Helsinki, Finland
- PIMRC 1998 in Boston, MA, USA
- PIMRC 1999 in Osaka, Japan
- PIMRC 2000 in London, UK
- PIMRC 2001 in San Diego, USA
- PIMRC 2002 in Lisbon, Portugal
- PIMRC 2003 in Beijing, China
- PIMRC 2004 in Barcelona, Spain
- PIMRC 2005 in Berlin, Germany
- PIMRC 2006 in Helsinki, Finland
- PIMRC 2007 in Athens, Greece
- PIMRC 2008 in Cannes, France
- PIMRC 2009 in Tokyo, Japan
- PIMRC 2010 in Istanbul, Turkey
- PIMRC 2011 in Toronto, Canada
- PIMRC 2012 in Sydney, Australia
- PIMRC 2013 in London, UK
- PIMRC 2014 in Washington DC, USA
- PIMRC 2015 in Hong Kong, China
- PIMRC 2016 in Valencia, Spain
- PIMRC 2017 will be in Montreal, QC, Canada